Heartland Communications
Schedule A Session:

If your agency is not listed, please contact EAP for mental health benefits. Should you wish to pay out of pocket for services, rates will be discussed with your clinician.

Heartland Communications

Your mission is to provide high quality compassionate 9-1-1 emergency dispatch services to the communities and public safety agencies we serve through cooperative, cost-effective sharing of resources. You serve all of the east county fire departments and local Indian reservation fire departments. We are available to serving you.

How do I make an appointment?

Asking for help can be difficult, especially for emergency services personnel. We do our best to make the process as seamless as possible. All you or your dependents need to do is:

  • CALL 858-565-0066 and leave a message in the new client voicemail, or with the therapist of your choice.
  • EMAIL through the link on this page

You will be contacted normally within 24 hours to set up an appointment. Appointments are available to accommodate your shifts and days off. We understand a fire-rescue career is unpredictable. If you get called back, held over, or experience any other schedule change, we will reschedule as soon as possible in accordance with your availability.

Who is eligible for counseling services?

Focus’ services are available to the Heartland Communications personnel, their cohabitating partners, and their children under the age of 18. Retired first responders are eligible for Focus services.

As a dependent, do I need to go through the employee to make an appointment?

If you are a spouse, child over 12, or someone living with a Fire-Rescue employee (life partner, family member, roommate), you can access services directly. You do not need to go through the employee. You will be asked for the employee’s name, which we will verify through our roster. It is confidential. Neither the department nor the employee is contacted. Children under 12 need parental permission to make an appointment. If parents are divorced but share legal custody, both need to give permission.

What kind of counseling is available to us?

Contact a Battalion Chief to confirm availability and the number of sessions afforded to you by the agency. Once the allotted number of sessions have been completed, the subsequent sessions must be paid out of pocket by the employee or employee’s dependent. The fees are on a sliding scale from $60-$100 depending on the ability to pay. The services are completely confidential.

We do not contact the department or any of its employees, or bill in a manner that would have the potential to identify our clients. Limits to confidentiality are legal reporting requirements for child/elder abuse or neglect, and situations where we believe someone’s life is in eminent danger. We are not mandated to report domestic violence.

Counseling services are available for most of the emotional issues faced by you and your family in today’s complex world. Common presenting issues include (but are not limited to):

  • Relationship problems
  • Anger
  • Post-Trauma Recovery
  • Stress
  • Anxiety/Depression
  • Habit Control
  • Alcohol/Pain Medication Abuse
  • Coping with Injury
  • Sleep Disturbance
  • IA/discipline
  • LGBTQ Concerns
  • Family issues
  • Children with School Issues
  • Sexual Dysfunction

Can I pick my own therapist?

You may leave a message for the therapist of your choice (see “Focus Professionals”). If you do not know who you would like to see, leave a message or email and we will assign a counselor based on your presenting problem and therapist availability. It is important that you feel comfortable with your therapist. If at any time, for any reason you wish to change therapists, you are encouraged to do so. Ask your therapist and you will be re-assigned. We want to provide you the help you need by whom you feel most comfortable.

Focus does NOT provide:

  • Fitness for duty evaluations
  • Child custody evaluations
  • Pre-employment screening
  • Workers Compensation evaluations
  • Any other evaluation which would require submitting a report to the Department.


444 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 215
San Diego, CA 92108


(858) 565-0066